Saturday, May 10, 2008

Road to Nowhere





Nope not having an existential moment or even listening to the Talking Heads. Came across a hike recently called Road to Nowhere in the San Gabriel Mountains above Azusa. Not a very strenuous hike, but an interesting one to be sure. It's basically a fire road to two mountain tunnels that were built in the early 60s in an effort to connect Highway 39 to Highway 2 but were never used. There isn't any cover with respect to trees, so this wouldn't be my first choice for a summer hike but the cool weather we're currently experiencing made it perfect. We arrived at the trailhead at about 8:30 AM so it was nice and cool with an early morning fog that shielded us from the sun a bit. There are a couple of honey farms along the path, so the buzzing of bees was pretty prevalent throughout the hike. Everything is beginning to bloom with the start of spring, so there was a bit of flowering color along the way also. It's a pretty eerie feeling walking through these tunnels on a dirt road with no one around. Not Charlton Heston at the end of Planet of the Apes, but unusual nonetheless.

Someone had taken the time to mosaic tile the word "Love" at the end of the first tunnel, which was pretty cool. I took a photo of it, and the flash picked up the word "HATE" spray painted across the mosaic. I thought it was kind of crummy, then it dawned on me that both the words were perfect descriptions of the motivation that spawned the display. Art is all around us my friends.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Okay, just say honey bee farms and mention the buzzing and I so would be out of there! But then again, you just wouldn't catch me hiking in the first place. So boring, I know.
David! I'm so excited you're blogging! I love it! I feel like I've been waiting forever and ever for my friends to get on board so I love it when someone does. It's just such a fun way to keep up with someone. Fun to see how people express themselves.

Love ya David.

MadJava said...

You know how I feel about hiking, and walking in general, so we won't ruminate with my "pedestrian" misgivings. But believe it or not, my dear wife has kicked my @$$ off of the couch and we've started walking at night around the neighborhood! I blame our dog, God bless her poopy ways.
Incidentally, saw a short documentary on bee farmers(sic) and how their industry is dwindling, and the bee population is becoming smaller due to pesticides, etc. Didn't know that bee farmers live like gypsies; traveling from coast to coast pollenating different types of agriculture. Gosh, I like honey...